Saturday, September 12, 2009

Iker Casillas celebrates today his tenth anniversary since his debut in La Liga

It will be a special day for the best goalkeeper in the world. Iker Casillas celebrates today his tenth anniversary defending Real Madrid’s goal. He made his debut on 12 September 1999 at the historical venue of San Mames and has given fans and media much to talk about since then.


In an article with As he spoke about his debut. “It was a 2-2 draw and a strange day for me. I saw myself in the front page of every newspaper, in the news… I went from playing in front of a crowd of 500 to 50,000 overnight. It was a radical change in my life.”

Casillas has been the starting Real Madrid goalie during all these past years except for a two-month period. His honours speak for themselves: four Spanish Leagues, two European Cups, three Spanish Super Cups, one European Super Cup and the Euro 2008 with Spain. “It has been a wonderful decade. We’ve had bad moments too, but the good ones outweigh the others by far. I hope the next seven years are as successful as these past ones, and I say seven years because my contract expires in 2017. I want to win more titles.”

The keeper has conceded 533 goals in 473 league games averaging 1.12 goals allowed per match, a good figure considering Real Madrid’s attacking nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment